At 9:40 p.m. Washington Firefighters were called to a house fire at 706 Front Street. When firefighters and police officers arrived at the scene the house was fully engulfed. According to Washington Fire Chief David Rhoads, the resident of the home, Beth Landreth had been hospitalized for the past three weeks. Medical personnel who were helping here into the house turned up the thermostat. About 10 to 15 minutes later the furnace exploded. Landreth and Sheryl Tracy were able to escape from the house, which is owned by Ambrose Dant. Landreth was taken to the home of friends for the night. Chief Rhoads says that the Washington Fire Department was on the scene until midnight. Six off-duty firefighters were called in to assist at the scene. Rhoads reports the house has major damage.